Monday, February 17, 2014

Well I survived my first Bridal Show!  I had a booth at the Granbury Bridal Show.  It was hosted by the Granbury Bridal Circle.  Attendance was good and I met a lot of other vendors in the business.  Local wedding planner Erin of Finealta Events https://www.facebook.com/FinealtaEvents encouraged me to Just Do It!  I really wanted to build a wall and buy more than I needed, well I did that anyway, but I didn't have time so I got creative and made my booth anyway.  I used what I had, for the most part.  I think it turned out really well though and I was asked if I did a lot of shows...uhh nope, not yet anyway. 
I must admit that I heard all the booths are going for trendy or shabby chic, so I ran the other way as savvy marketers would.  I knew I had to hit all the senses as well.  I used a Tyler candle auto glam scented paper behind my brochures in the Tyler scent to hit the sniffers since you cannot have candles!  I am a Tyler Candle Junkie!  I also wanted real flowers, and I think I got robbed on that deal, Kroger $25.00 and they were okay, but I thought that was a bit steep.  I probably should've put the money in a reusable arrangement, but I love fresh flowers.  I used wedding crystal that I already had, I mean does anyone ever use that stuff, so my booth was a perfect use for it!  Hershey Kisses for the taste buds worked well because everyone wants a kiss.  I did consult with an Interior Designer for my booth, I think I was second guessing myself, but she was well worth it!  I consulted with http://kimfancherdesign.com/  Kim was easy to work with and worth it!  She suggested I use my old cameras to draw on people's curiosity, or for conversation pieces.  Many people did comment on them.  Also, she suggested the different levels of things on the table to make the eye wonder around.  Kim also suggested the marbles on the black velor to catch the light.  I highly suggest Kim for your home too, check out her site!  My biggest challenge for my booth was how to hold the darn photos in the back.  I really wanted to make a wall and a living room feel, but I just didn't have the time...two girls, middle of school year, booked....hello....no time.  I came back down to earth, thinking how can I use what I have and not go broke doing this?  I had already paid the booth rental, which wasn't cheap, but I had to think...what do I have.  Oh yes, a great Wescott Background that I love, and I have a background stand.  And I love my background stand...and I've used the heck out of it, but it didn't break the bank either, and it's long paid for.  Now, how to hold the pics?  I was afraid that frames would be too heavy, so I printed my prints through my new fav... White House Custom Color....sorry you neighbor with a great camera....if you don't have a tax ID you can't use them!  They are great, they call me every time there might be a problem, they look out for me!  They are all 16x20's in the background that way I can get a cheap frame later at Michael's if I need too.  Frames that you haul around don't last, so I wasn't about to go expensive.  The prints had to be mounted, so I spent a bit over $100 for those.  I am useful for useless info sometimes...magnets!  I have bought up the heavy duty magnets from lowes, not cheap, but reusable, and used mounting tape to mount them to the back of the prints and with my husband's help we hung them on the background.  I also had to spend about $30 for a coroplast sign of my logo or name.  I am thinking metal would've been smarter, but again, weight was a consideration.  The other frames are from Ross, a great place for frames, but yes it is hit or miss there.  I did have a mishap...I broke one of my turquoise candle holders from the Wagon Yard in Granbury.  I love that store.  If it is me though....I know that I will break something!  So all that aside I think I did alright.  Now all I need is bookings from the show to pay for the fun I had!

No comments: